Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Why do we promise such things?

Why do we promise such things? Such things as...happy meals after shots, candy after being good in the store, toys for doing homework, going out to dinner or ice cream for a very bad day.... I think we do all of this promising each time to make ourselves better, not for the child but for us as moms. We promise such things to make ourselves feel better when we see our children struggling, hurting, or having a hard time. Do they need it??? Probably not, in fact I know they don't. We do it solely for ourselves. The children would be more than happy with an extra hug, a kiss, or a good old pat on the back. They would be fine with smaller amounts of stuff and more time with us. Time, that can seem like such a difficult thing to give in our busy lives but it shouldn't be. We work so hard to make a good life for our kids so we can buy them things but if we sat down and took the time, we would not NEED to buy such things. It is a tough balance as a stay at home mom. The laundrry needs to be done, house cleaned, dinner made, errands run but the children need the time with us. I find it so difficult to stop what I am doing for the five minutes it takes to play with my children. SO, moms and dads out there...I charge you with a task. This task is one I am going to try and accomplish over the next few weeks and I will keep you updated on its progress. I hope all of you out there in blogland will do the same and keep me posted as to your progress as well. I am asking each of you to try and stop promising so much. Try and to stop give that extra hug and kiss after the doctors appointment instead of hitting the drivethru. Try to put down the dirty dishes and the vacumn and play a game with the monkies while they still want us to play a game with them. I know it is going to be hard, so hard. I mean if any of you are like me, you try and get everything done before bedtime so when everyone is in bed, you can have 5 minutes of peace and quiet before you yourself need to hit the sack. If you stop the dishes now, you will have to do them after the kids are in bed. But, let's think about this, how much longer are these children going to want us to play that game with them????? Wish me luck and good luck to you all!

No comments: